Wednesday, February 28, 2018

What to cook for Funerals and after being deathly ill

     It feels like forever since I cooked anything for the blog!  Ironically, I have been using my Instant Pot regularly, but I haven't been cooking with pictures or new and amazing recipes that you just have to try!  It also didn't help that I had a major cold that had me bedridden for almost a whole week not using anything other than the necessities.  Then, my friend lost her husband suddenly with absolutely no warning.  I have known her for what seems forever, but it has really been about a decade.  What really freaked me out was that he was only a couple of years older than me.  For me, that brought the reality of health into greater focus, especially after having been sick for more than a week. 
      Last week I made a bean soup with canned food that was tasty, quick, and hearty.  It had no meat, but had full, high quality, protein and was great with the blizzard that dropped 8 inches of snow on the valley floor and made our world into a snow covered frozen wonderland.  The instruction for it are here: http://adventuresininstantpotcooking.blogspot.com/2018/02/throw-together-soup-great-taste-from.html
Image result for Syracuse Utah snow last week

     For my friend, who I know has her whole family back home to help her, mourn with her, and come to some kind of grips with the sudden death of a loved one, I wanted comfort food.  I decided to make enough to feed her family and hopefully have some leftovers.  I made this: http://adventuresininstantpotcooking.blogspot.com/2018/01/crack-chicken-stars-in-death-to-diets.html  with some modifications.  Here are the modifications that I made that my family loved, made it easier to prepare and able to feed more people.

Modifications: 


  • I chopped up the boneless, skinless chicken breasts into small bites.  I cooked it according to the recipe, but left all the chicken stock and liquid after it cooked.  
  • I substituted pepperoni for the bacon.  I love bacon, but it is very expensive, so changed it to pepperoni, which I diced into about sixth sized pieces and added it after cooking the chicken.
  • I added a half pound of diced button mushrooms after the chicken was cooked and I was thickening the sauce.  
  • I didn't use any thickener, but I did add about a half cup of sour cream at the end, which just made it smooth and tasty.  
  • I whipped the cream cheese into the chicken stock/chicken and then added all other ingredients, cheddar cheese, pepperoni (diced), green onions(diced), mushrooms(diced), mayo, and sour cream and sauted it till it was bubbly and completely hot.  
  • I served it over rice.  My kids loved it and I hope that my friend and her family enjoyed the meal as well.  












No comments:

Post a Comment