Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Creating an Instant Pot Meal with LEFTOVERS!

   
This is Leftover Artichoke Dip Noodles w/Mushrooms

      We all have leftovers in the fridge that get overlooked or go bad because no one wants to eat them.  My house is no different than yours in that respect.  My kids often make Mac and Cheese (Yes the boxed variety!) rather than eat leftovers with the exception of my Instant Pot meals. These almost always get completely devoured, although I have had some fails mostly through my own mistakes, for the most part my kids love it when I cook.  So last night, my son Nate who just got braces, begged off making dinner (The kids take turns.).  I decided to do something quick, in one pot, that tasted good and would effectively use the leftovers I had in the fridge.  Noodles are super easy and fast in the Instant Pot with no draining, not stirring, and perfectly cook pasta as long as you QR and don't let it sit. (Yes there is a story there, but its in one of my other posts!)  However, I didn't know what to do for sauce for those noodles.  My kids always make Mac and Cheese, so they are tired of that.  I realized that I had the remains of the Artichoke Dip that I doubled for Super Bowl Sunday.  I used the Paula Dean recipe available on the link.  It was delicious, but like many parties, we made WAY too much food.  I wanted it to be more substantial than just noodles with Artichoke Dip, so I sauteed about 8 oz. of button mushrooms in one cube of butter. 


     I cooked them down until they were perfectly cooked and added a tablespoon of minced garlic.  I then added a tablespoon of salt and stirred it in.  


     I then added 8 cups of water and the two 16 oz. packages of elbow macaroni I would be cooking and stirred it.  This is the perfect amount of water to make the macaroni Al Dente and not leave liquid in the pot.



     I closed the lid, hit Cancel to clear the Saute function, and then hit Manual for 4 minutes.  (I know some people want to know the exact timing including coming to pressure, but I never worry about it.  I do something like read a book, watch a show, or get work done while it is working.  The beauty is that I don't have to watch, stir, or even drain the pasta and it comes out perfect!)  20 minutes or so later the Pot beeped to let me know it was done.  I QR the steam and put on my 90 degree elbow to direct the steam.  You will get some liquid coming out of the vent.  My PVC elbow contains the liquid, but I put a small towel around it to soak up any that comes out.  After it finishes venting, I open it and stir up the pasta (PERFECT!).  I then add the microwaved remains of the Artichoke Dip and add it to the finished pasta.  My whole family loved it.  It was tasty, filling, and used up what might have gone to waste.  I would highly recommend it.  The recipe is below if you want to make it from scratch.  

Artichoke DIP Noodles w/Sauteed Mushrooms

Ingredients:

Artichoke Dip (I used about one whole recipe.)
2     16 oz. of Elbow Macaroni
1      pkg. 8 oz. Button mushrooms (I chopped them.)
1     cube   butter or oil to saute the mushrooms.
1     tbs.     minced garlic
1     tbs.     salt
1     tbs.     favorite hot sauce (optional)
  1. Make Paula Dean's Artichoke Dip and enjoy. (I doubled it for my Superbowl Party and had about half leftover.  I blended the whole thing to make it more smooth and it made it easier to eat as well.)
  2. Saute 8 oz. of Button Mushrooms in butter and add one tablespoon of garlic. If I had ham or bacon, I would have added it here. Cook until they are shrunken and brown.  (about 2-3 minutes).
  3. Add 1 tablespoon of salt and any other spices or flavorings you want in your finished product.  (You could add a tablespoon or so of your favorite hot sauce to give it a little kick. I didn't because my kids don't like it.)  Cook for another minute or two.
  4. Add 8 cups of as hot of water as you can get from your tap.  Add two 16 oz. packages of your favorite elbow macaroni and stir it till it moves easily.  I used American Beauty because we buy it by the case.
  5. Place your Instant Pot lid on and set for sealing.  Hit cancel to stop the Saute function and then hit Manual and set it for 4 minutes. 
  6. When it beeps, QR the steam.  (Oftentimes you get some spatter from the vent, so put your PVC 90 on top and rag around it to catch any drips or liquid.   (2 inch Schedule 40 PVC 90 elbow - This is exactly like the one I bought at Home Depot.  Its weight keeps it over the vent and it directs the steam away from my cabinets and contains any potential splatter.  I use it every time I vent. )
  7. Stir the pasta and mushroom mixture to breakup any clumps of pasta.  Add the reheated dip mixture and stir until the two are completely incorporated together.  Serve while still hot.  
     I think next time I will add some meat (probably bacon or ham) and perhaps serve it with a side of garlic french bread.  Otherwise it was a hit that I will do again.


No comments:

Post a Comment