Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Crack Chicken stars in "Death to Diets!"

     
This is how mine turned out over rice!  (It tastes divine!)

     I have been dreaming of Crack Chicken since I got my Instant Pot and heard about Aunt Bee's IP Crack Chicken which is linked.  But here is the problem, it is a devastator to diets.  I have been slowly losing weight by cooking more vegetables, decreasing my portion size, and being careful with what I eat.  However, this recipe drove all moderation out the door and chased it down the street beating it into submission!  I kid you not, I didn't want to stop eating it even after I was full (incidentally this is probably part of my "weight" problem.).  My kids had more than one bowl and three of us ate it for lunch the next day.  Unlike others, I doubled the recipe to make sure that we had leftovers. 
 This package of chicken had 8 chicken breasts.

I used precooked bacon, because it is easier.

     I started by putting the full 8 chicken breasts in the pot after having put a portion of the chicken stock  and dusting it with the dry Ranch dressing mix.  I then put the cream cheese on top of the chicken and poured the remainder of the chicken stock over the top.  (I used hot chicken stock and had the pot on Saute while I was doing all this to decrease the time it takes to come to pressure.)
This is the chicken before cooking in the chicken stock. (I would cube it next time!)

     I set the pot on Manual for 15 minutes and walked away.  (The only thing I will do differently next time is to dice the chicken prior to cooking to make shredding it easier after.)  About 25 minutes later it had cooked and Natural pressure released (NPR) for 5 minutes and I QR (Quick Released) the remainder of the pressure. 

This is when I QR the pressure.  (I hate that you cannot see the billowing steam!)  That is the PVC piece I use to redirect the steam away from my cabinets.  (Available here or at Home Depot.)


This is how the chicken looked after cooking and prior to shredding.

     The chicken was completely cooked and I chopped and shredded it, while periodically whisking the cheese and chicken stock mixture on Saute.  I deviated slightly by adding about 3/4 cup of sour cream.  The sauce thickened in the next 3-5 minutes.  I like my green onions slightly cooked, so I added them in when I added the chicken back in.  I then added the mayo, bacon (1 full cup of cooked bacon), and cheese and stirred it all up.  I then served it over white rice that I cooked in my rice cooker. 

This is how it turned out and it has been fantastic! 
(Yes Virginia, it is the same photo from the beginning!)


     I would recommend this recipe to anyone who wants very filling, hardy, excellent food that is visually, textually, and nose pleasing recipes that I have enjoyed cooking in my IP.  You go Aunt Bee!  This recipe is easy to follow, easy to prepare, and a joy to eat, but don't blame me if it causes an expansion of the waistline!  

2 comments: