Friday, January 12, 2018

Instant Pot Easy Beef Stroganoff

   


My family loves my Beef Stroganoff and I have been making it traditionally for years, so it was a no-brainer for me to convert it to the IP.  The Instant Pot makes it quick, one pot, and easier than I ever did it before.  I start with frozen hamburger, but you could use fresh or utilize other cuts of beef for it. (I have actually used chicken breast as well! - frozen too)  Back then,  I would steam/boil it in water and spend tons of time breaking it up as the exterior thawed and removed the thawed beef and have to watch it to make sure portions of the beef didn't burn.  Now I add two cups of water to the bottom of my Instant Pot:


     I use as hot water as my tap will produce and then I turn it on Saute while I work on getting the hamburger out of the freezer bags we put it in.  (We buy the 10 pound sleeves and then divide it into ten equal segments and freeze them.  It is more useful to have it in one pound segments.) 

This is what they look like going in completely frozen:


     I use two pounds in my recipe, but you could cut it in half if your family is smaller.  My kids love this recipe and will often choose to eat leftovers for lunch/snack the next day or even the next evening, so it never goes to waste.  In my opinion, that is a win!

     I then push off and then manual and set it for 10 minutes.  I put the lid on and set it for sealing. It looks like this on the front of my IP:


     I then get working on the rice.  I know, you say why don't you cook the rice in your IP?  I say, because I like a LOT of rice and I have a perfectly efficient rice cooker that can cook up to 10 cups.  It will be finished in time to eat with the perfectly cooked stroganoff and dinner is on the table, with me being able to catch up on my reading, clean the kitchen, or play a game with the kids.  You see the power of the IP is that I can walk away and let it do it's thing while I do something else.  (Before I would have to watch it almost constantly to make sure it didn't burn.)


     I utilize an Aroma Rice cooker that was given to me by a friend who had outgrown it with just her and her husband at home, thanks tons Stacy!  For my 7 person family, it was a gift from God.  We eat rice at least twice a week, so having enough to have leftovers is just great.  You can get one on Amazon here:  Aroma 20 Cup Rice Cooker.  I have really love having it. 

     I start with 5 cups of rice:


     I like my rice sticky, so I added 6 cups of water, one tablespoon of chicken stock, and two tablespoons of butter.  I like Knorr Chicken Bouillon, because it comes in a solid container and has great flavor.  



     I stir the water and rice a couple of times.  I use Basmati Rice: Member's Mark Basmati Rice.  I get it at Sam's Club and we go through 20 pounds in about two months and it is cheap.  $8.34 for the whole bag.  I don't wash it beforehand and it turns out great every time.  I put it on cook and then go relax until the IP is finished with the hamburger.  This is what the rice looks like after I have mixed it up when it is done.


     This becomes the base for my stroganoff.  It also gives me plenty to take to lunch at work the next day or to send with my adult children.  All in all it works out great.  After 15-20 minutes, the IP will finish cooking the hamburger and will beep and then start counting how much time since it finished cooking.  This shows up as L 0000 and counts up form there.  I QR the pressure and divert the steam using my 90 degree 2 Inch Schedule 40 PVC piece:

     Flip the steam release to release and place the PVC over it to redirect the steam.  Occasionally, I get some drips, so I place a washcloth to catch any drips.


Ironically, you cannot see the steam coming out of the PVC, but I assure you it is coming out!  Once your valve drops, you can remove the PVC, wipe any moisture off the top.  Then open your lid to your nearly finished hamburger base.


      This is with using Manual and cooking it from frozen to thawed and ready to be browned in 10 minutes, after it comes to pressure.  (Incidentally, this is why I use really hot water and turn it on Saute while I get the beef out of the freezer bags.)  Drain the hamburger by using a lid from another pot.  I have a Pyrex lid that fits nearly perfectly!

     Break up the hamburger and Saute it for 8-10 minutes until is as brown as you like it.  Add 2 tbs. of Montreal Steak Seasoning, 1 tbs. of Minced Garlic, 2 tbs. of Chopped Chives (fresh or dried) and complete the cooking of the hamburger.  It should look something like this when you are done:


     Add 6 cups of Milk (I use whole but other types work well.), 3/4 cup Sour Cream and two cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup.  Leave the Instant Pot on Saute and let the pot continue to heat up the mixture.  Stir occasionally as it comes to a slow boil.  While it is doing so pour 1 cup of milk into a Measuring Cup and mix in 3 tbs. of Corn Starch and mix it well. (This is the thickening agent that you will add next.)


    When the mixture it starting to boil, then add the Corn Starch mixture to it and continue stirring it for 5-8 minutes and it will thicken relatively rapidly.  When it is as thick as you like it, we like it really pretty thick, then serve it over the rice that will by now be ready.  The sauce should look like this after you have added the thickener.


This is how I serve it up to my family and they usually come back for seconds!


     When I have fresh mushrooms, I add them during the Sauteing of the hamburger.  I use button mushrooms and put about a half pound into it cut into fourths.  The following are the things that went into this recipe and the actual recipe is below.  


Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff by Carv

INGREDIENTS

2 lbs.        Hamburger (Frozen)
2 tbs.        Montreal Steak Seasoning
2 tbs.        Chopped Chives (either fresh or dried like mine)
1 tbs.        Minced Garlic
6 cups      Milk (I use whole, but any regular milk will work.)
3/4 cup    Sour Cream
2 cans      Cream of Mushroom Soup (Mine were Western Family)

Thickener
3 tbs.        Corn Starch (Argo for me)
1 cup        Milk

DIRECTIONS

  1. Put 2 cups HOT water in the IP set to Saute.  Place 2 lbs. Hamburger into the IP.  (It takes me a minute or two to get the hamburger out of the freezer bags we have it in and the water is heating up while I do it, thus reducing the time it takes to come to pressure and cook.)  Push cancel and then Manual for 10 minutes and put your lid on and set it for sealing.  
  2. QR when the timer beeps and wait for your valve to drop.  (Be careful the steam will be very hot!)  Remove the lid and set it aside.  (You might want to hold it sideways over the pot as it usually has some moisture built up.)  Drain the water from the hamburger and place the liner back into your Instant Pot.  (Make sure that the outside of your liner is free from moisture, oils or anything before you do.)  Hit cancel again and again set it to Saute.  Brown the hamburger and add the seasonings, chives and garlic while you are cooking.  (Approximates 8-10 minutes)
  3. Leave it on Saute and add milk, sour cream, and cream of mushroom soup. Stir every couple of minutes as it comes to a slow boil.  While it is heating prepare your thickener by mixing the corn starch with one cup of milk.  (Mix it completely so that you don't have clumps.)  When it starts to boil, add the thickener and stir it until it is thick and creamy.  (about 5-8 minutes.)
  4. Using a ladle, serve it over rice, noodles, or bread.  

     My family loves this recipe.  I let them salt it to their taste.  You could add some jalepenos if you wanted to kick it up a notch or diced chiles.  However, my family loves the meaty, rich, creamy, and tasty way that I cook it.  Good Luck and have fun with your Instant Pot!










No comments:

Post a Comment